Portable config/settings migration
It looks like the portable file structure has been flattened out and that the reg file has changed to a text file.
Which is fine, except that I can't import the old reg file into v5. It just adds it to my registry, which kind of defeats the point of a portable app...
Is there a way to import v4 server settings into v5?
However, you could try a trick:
- edit your v4 reg file so that it imports into HKCU\Software\HeidiSQL
- doubleclick that .reg file to import it
- start v5 heidisql.exe from your preferred portable location, but in non-portable mode (means, no portable_settings.txt in the same directory)
- create an empty portable_settings.txt in the HeidiSQL directory.
- exit heidisql.exe . Settings should now be stored to the text file
Probably it helps you to know how the portable logic works:
1. the very first thing a starting heidisql.exe does is look for a portable_settings.txt in the application directory. If present, a new, unique registry key is created, let's say
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HeidiSQL Portable 123
where "123" is the process id. Contents of the text file are parsed and imported into this new key.
2. when you close this heidisql.exe instance, registry values from the above created key is exported back to the text file, and the reg key gets deleted.
Knowing this, you could do the following:
1. start heidisql.exe in portable mode so you have a fresh registry key
2. start regedit.exe and watch out for the key name which was created (e.g. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HeidiSQL Portable 123\)
3. use notepad do edit your v4 reg file, change everything what points to
so it points to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HeidiSQL Portable 123\
4. save and close the reg file, double click to import it
5. close heidisql.exe so reg values are stored to portable_settings.txt
Please login to leave a reply, or register at first.