distal-attribute
distal-attribute
distal-attribute
distal-attribute

Refreshing Table view is hard

User, date Message
Written by lemon_juice
3 years ago
Category: Feature discussion
128 posts since Tue, 29 Jun 10
I'm always struggling with this seemingly simple thing: refreshing the table view so that I can see the most current table structure (columns, keys, etc.). Very often I change a table structure and save the ALTER TABLE code in a version control system so that on my other computer I can reproduce the changes (and for other developers). But every time I run ALTER TABLE from the query tab it's a pain to make Heidi reflect the new table structure. The refresh button doesn't work - when I put focus on the table view then this button does nothing. When I focus on the tree view, it refreshes the tree view only. When I right click on the table name in the tree view and select refresh, also the tree view only gets refreshed. Most often I have to refresh the tree view, navigate away to a different table and come back my table to see the changes but it doesn't work consistently and I'm never really sure when Heidi updates the view.

Is there a way to refresh the table view in a sure and consistent way? Probably there should be another refresh button for refreshing the table structure, or perhaps a separate drop-down under the existing button. At least right click on a table name -> refresh should really refresh the table.
Written by lemon_juice
3 years ago
128 posts since Tue, 29 Jun 10
Also, yesterday I ran into a problem with refreshing the data view as well. It must be very rare because it happened to me for the first time. I was using the refresh button when in the data grid. First I made some changes to data, then clicked away in some empty space - this usually causes Heidi to commit the changes (UPDATE). The small red triangles disappeared so I concluded the data was changed. I refreshed the view to make sure the new values were there. But my application seemed to fetch different (older) data from the db. I spent almost half an hour trying to find the bug in my application because the data were simply different. I refreshed Heidi like crazy many many times, switched to other tables, switched views, came back and still the data was differnt from what my application was fetching. Then I started phpmyadmin and it showed me the actual data consistent with what was really there. Heidi just wouldn't refresh - despite the SELECT statements that I saw issued in the log window. Only restarting Heidi allowed me to see the current data.

I'm sorry but I can't give you any sure steps to reproduce this bug because it is quite rare but certainly something is broken in some cases.
 

Please login to leave a reply, or register at first.