Hi - new to HeidiSQL, just downloaded and installed it today. It looks like it could be useful, but I was absolutely astonished to learn that it does not provide any way to import a CSV file directly into a new table. I have no need to import into an existing table, and if I have to create the code manually to create a new table with all the right fields, that seems to defeat the purpose of using HeidiSQL!
Here's what I'd hoped to see:
- Go to Tools and select Import CSV.
- Specify the .CSV file to be imported.
- Specify database and select option "New Table" in menu along with names of existing tables.
- Check box indicating that first row in text file should be interpreted as column names.
- Have HeidiSQL do brief, simple analysis of first few lines of CSV file and make best guess as to data type (text, integer, etc.) and offer me option to specify data type manually for each column if necessary. Alternately, skip the analysis, assume "text", and just present me a list of potential columns and let me specify the data type.
- Once options are specified, create new table on the fly with specified column names and import data into new columns.
This doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do, programmatically, which makes it even more surprising that it hasn't already been done. Are there other tools that can do this?